Columbus Family YMCA
Facility Reopening Frequently Asked Questions
When will the YMCA be open?
The Y will reopen Tuesday, June 2, 2020.
What will the YMCA hours be when it is open?
To maintain disinfecting/cleaning standards and the level of staff needed, the Y will be open:
- Mondays – Fridays, 5:00 a.m.—8:00 p.m.
- Saturdays, 6:00 a.m.—6:00 p.m.
- The Y will be CLOSED on Sundays through the summer. Sundays will be a day we use to do a deeper, more thorough cleaning and disinfecting of the entire facility, which is challenging to do when we have members in the facility.
When will regular building hours and programming return to normal?
The short answer is we do not know. The new hours are temporary and will change as conditions allow. We will follow all local medical agency and local and state authority recommendations.
Will the Y have special hours for senior citizens or members with health conditions?
Yes. We will close the YMCA each day from 1:00–3:00 p.m. to allow Y staff and Service Master to disinfect and sanitize machines and equipment. This will also be our Senior Citizen/At Risk Members only to workout. Similar to how some stores do for these populations.
Who can use the Y when you reopen?
Any Columbus Family YMCA members 16 years old and older. We will NOT sell day passes to non-members. We will NOT honor out of town Y members at this time.
What will be open for members to use at the Y?
When the Y reopens, we will have the wellness floor open for members to workout on machines and weight equipment.
How many members can be at the Y at the same time?
By waiting until June, we were able to move past the DHM of 10 people in a facility at one time. We are basing our number of people at the Y at one time to 50% of our capacity for the areas in use. For our wellness floor that number is 165.
What will NOT be open for members to use at the Y?
The following areas will NOT be open when the Y reopens:
- Child Watch (no youth will be allowed in the building)
- Swimming pools (all three of them)
- Steam rooms and saunas
- Locker rooms
- Studios (no group exercise classes in June)
- Basketball/volleyball gymnasium
- Youth Activity Gym
Will there be a time limit on Y facility use?
Yes. Members will be limited to one hour each day.
What will the check-in process look like?
- Columbus Community Hospital staff will be conducting health screenings and temperature checks for everyone coming in the door. **Anyone failing any of the screenings, will not be allowed to use the YMCA**
- All members will be required to sign the waiver prior to working out (one time). Waivers will be available at the YMCA if members did not bring them with them.
- Members will check themselves in – you must have your card or use the app with your card on it.
- Members will be required to check out when leaving as part of our process so we know how many members are in the building.
What about members who are higher risk for illness?
Everyone is encouraged to become familiar with the CDC definition of those who are at higher risk by going to the CDC website detailing at risk persons. While there is not a one-size-fits-all definition, Y members are asked to consider the guidelines before assuming any level of risk at the YMCA or anywhere else.
Can I use the locker room?
No. Locker rooms are the most vulnerable part of the facility as well as the hardest to maintain the appropriate social distancing and the disinfecting of all the surfaces in a locker room. We are asking every member using the YMCA to come dressed and ready to workout. Public bathrooms will be open, but not for changing clothes and showering. Family locker rooms will be open, but ONLY FOR THE CCH Rehab patients undergoing therapy and treatment. Members will be allowed to gather their belongings out of their lockers so they can take them home and be able to use them.
Will anything be different on the Wellness Floor?
- Yes. Social distancing and cleanliness will be even more important now than they ever have been.
- We have removed or placed out of order equipment to comply with the 6’ social distancing requirement.
- We ask that equipment NOT be moved.
- Members will be asked to wipe down everything they used while working out with the Clorox wipes after working out.
- Y staff will also be on the floor sanitizing everything after it is used for an added layer of safety.
Will the pools be open?
No. All of our water areas will be closed in June and July.
Will there be group exercise classes?
No. No classes in June. If conditions permit, we will start a limited number of classes in July or August.
Will the basketball/volleyball/pickle ball courts be open?
No. This area will be closed in June and July. If conditions permit, we will try to open the gymnasium on a limited basis in August/September.
What else is being done to maintain safety and the health of Y members and staff?
Everyone is responsible for practicing appropriate safety measures to help prevent the spread of the Covid 19 virus. Y staff members will be wearing masks and gloves while working. Our Clorox wipes and all sanitizing chemicals are one the approved list for killing the Covid virus. We are limiting exposure at the YMCA by restricting access to anyone who is not a Columbus Y member and by only opening up basic areas for use. YMCA staff are regularly in contact with health officials and YMCA leaders regarding the pandemic and how to handle it appropriately. Signage throughout the facility are posted throughout the YMCA. Hand sanitizing stations are available in locations throughout the facility. The HVAC system (air handling) brings in 100% fresh air all day. This helps reduce airborne germs and odors.
What will happen if a confirmed case of COVID-19 arises in direct connection with the YMCA?
Following guidelines set out by local, state, and national health agencies, all necessary steps will be taken by the YMCA to conduct a thorough cleaning and sanitation of its facility and it may close temporarily to complete the task.
Enhanced Health, Comfort and Safety Measures at the Columbus Family YMCA
For those of you who are still hesitant to return to our facility, here are some little known but very important facts we’d like you to know:
Rapid Screening: everyone entering the YMCA is asked health screening questions and has their temperature checked by Columbus Community Hospital trained technicians. The entire screening process takes less than two minutes so you can get to your workout quickly and have peace of mind that everyone in the building has been screened.
24/7 Air Exchange: 24 hours a day / 7 days a week our high-tech HVAC system is exchanging fresh air into the building. This helps remove airborne germs, control odors, and provide clean fresh air for your health and comfort.
Cleaning Protocol: all members wipe down their machines after use. In addition, the YMCA staff cleans and sanitizes all equipment twice per day. Plus, Service Master cleans the entire facility thoroughly several times each day. Our equipment is cleaner than ever before!
Proven Results: While nothing is 100 percent failsafe or perfect, you can rest assured you’re entering a healthy, safe and monitored environment.